Monday, December 7, 2015

Week 27-November 30, 2015

Week 27-November 30, 2015
A Whole New World- by Aladdin featuring Elder Jensen and Elder Hesen

immmmmm innnn ROMFORD!!!!!! It's COMPLETELY different from central
London. I feel like a greenie again- although I never really ever
stopped feeling like a greenie and i doubt I ever will. I still have
no clue what I'm doing but that's what makes it so fun!

So here are some of the differences: I'm in a car (which I will be
driving starting tomorrow) I live in a town outside of London, there
are no underground tubes or frequent buses, people live in houses not
five story flat complexes (still not American sized but bigger than
the flats I have been used to) there are families everywhere and kids
(unlike central London where everyone is an ultra rich businessman or
very poor and sometimes homeless) there are lots of green grassy
places by the roads and around churches and buildings, there are lots
of trees, I have a much nicer flat and it's only me and my companion
instead of 4 missionaries, my companion is in his last 2 transfers
instead of his first 2, and we are always very very busy. I'm in a new
ward, it's freezing outside cause because of the absence of five story
buildings everywhere the wind is insane, and I'm serving with a
different zone and none of the same missionaries. So it's been a
little crazy, but I have had an a amazing week and although I'm
perpetually tired and I am still trying to figure things out, I feel
very blessed to have been sent to such a beautiful new place.

My companion is elder Hesen- a 6'4" volleyball player from MALIBU! We
have been getting along so well. He's super patient with me since I
still have to learn just about everything about the area and our
responsibilities and such. He a great guy I already love him.

We had a baptism for an old Mexican couple named Jose and Rosa this
past Saturday and it was so memorable. Rosa can't use her legs so she
is wheelchair bound and also has cataracts so can't see almost at all
and she is wonderful. Jose is hilarious as well. For rosa, this is
what we did- I hoisted her out of her wheelchair, passed her to elder
Convey and Elder Hesen who were at the stairs of the font, and then
they carried her down, and I followed them into the font and the three
of us held her as elder Hesen said the prayer and we all squatted with
her in our arms. We had to do it a second time and it was a miracle
that we were able to do it smoothly the second time. Her faith was
incredible- she completely trusted us and for an elderly woman with no
use of her legs and no sight to let us carry her in our arms into a
font and dunk her underwater amazes me. She is not supposed to get her
feet wet- so we had prepared bags and rubber bands but when we were
ready to put them on, she said no. She wanted to get everything wet
and refused the bags, so we said ok. I don't know her nearly as well
as elder Hesen because he was the one who taught them, but I have been
able to speak to her in Spanish far better than I have ever hoped to
speak! We also had stake conference this weekend and had a miracle
happen- we went on a blitz (our whole district street contacting)
after a district meeting on Thursday and elder Hesen and I found so
many people. One being a 19 year old guy named Michael, who ended up
catching the train with us to Romford (45 minutes away) Saturday
evening for the adult session and liked it so much he called us Sunday
morning and said that he changed his mind and instead of going to his
usual church he wanted to come with us to the Sunday session as well.
He loved that as well- funny bit is that after the Saturday evening
session the area 70 who was there came up to me and Elder Hesen and
Michael after and told Michael that we'd baptise him and send him over
the hills on a mission in no time hahahahahahaha me and elder Hesen
just stood there with our mouths open as he causally bore an
incredibly powerful testimony to Michael and told him to listen to
everything we told him. Then after the Sunday morning session I
introduced him to Sister Stevens (mission prez wife) who did the same
thing and then president Stevens as well. If three incredibly
successful and spiritual giants telling him to listen to us and be
baptised isn't enough to trigger some interest I don't know what is.
We are seeing him Wednesday and super excited to teach him.

People are different in Basildon (my actual area) and it is exciting
to get to know people here. Bishop Nicholls (who emailed mom with a
picture of us 4 elders) took the four of us Basildon ward elders to
all you can eat Chinese food on thanksgiving. The funniest part of all
is that our buddy elder Andrews from Boston ate a little too much and
threw it all up in the car park. Bishop was just chuckling as we all
laughed our heads off and asked him if he was alright... Our bishop is
an amazing man and he supports our efforts 100%. We have a super funny
video I'll try to send you guys.

Too much happened this past week! I have had zero time all week and
barely unpacked my stuff a couple days ago. We are always busy and
with call in reports we have no time in the evenings. On the bright
side, I love my bed :) it's super comfy.

Turns out this Christmas choir I'm part of is a bigger deal than I was
aware of and  president put me in Romford partly because it's somewhat
close enough to travel into London for the rehearsal son pday. Me and
elder Hesen sing all the time in the car and he's super good and so
he's gunna be in the choir too now since he's my companion and they
need tenors. Super fun. It's crazy that I'm going to see all my old
buddies at the Hyde park chapel today already- I barely left!

This was nice and long cause we are on the train to London at the
moment . If you wanna look up where we live it's a town called
Laindon. Basically the same place as Basildon though

Love you all more than I can put in words- as dad would say, I miss
you all like the sun misses the moon. But there are things bigger than
ourselves and our immediate wants and although I would love to be with
you especially for the Christmas season, this work is most important.
I'm sure you already know what I'm trying to say but since Christmas
is coming up and since I love Christmas so much, I have been thinking 
of my family more and how much I love you each. I am always praying for the Jsquad. I
 will attach some pictures and then send the super funny video later hopefully!
Love you fam!!!
Elder Jensen
Elder Hesen, Jose, Rosa, some really goofy looking guy, and Elder Convey going from left to right.

One of the districts in our zone. This was at district meeting- unfortunately we weren't able to make it to the other district in the zone's district meeting but this is half of our zone! And yea I'm wearing elder Hesen's glasses just for fun I don't really know why

No comments:

Post a Comment